[Paraview] ParaView Memory Usage

Hedieh Ebrahimi hedieh.ebrahimi at amphos21.com
Mon Aug 12 08:34:23 EDT 2013

Hi,

I have a question regarding memory efficiency in ParaView.

Consider that I have a h5 file that contain cellArrays that have
information about pH and lots of other materials over all cells in the
DataSet .

There are two ways I can use my h5 file in ParaView to visualize Data.
1.If I  open this file using ParaView and then under the properties section
just click to show pH.

2. If I split the h5 file and create a new Dataset just containing  pH and
NOT any other material and then open this file in ParaView.

It looks like in the first scenario ParaView is using way more memory than
when I split the file and open it in ParaView as a smaller Dataset.
Isn´t ParaView supposed to take care of memory better ? I mean shouldn´t
ParaView work the same way if I open my huge DataSet and try to show just
pH as when I extract pH from my DataSet and open it as a smaller h5 file in
ParaView?

I would be grateful if somebody could please give some advice.

Thanks in Advance