[Paraview] PV3.14.1 Extract Selection- PreserveTopology bug

RVA Developer rvadeveloper at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 13:10:26 EDT 2012

Hi,
I seem to be running into a bug with Extract Selection / findData
functionality and need some help in resolving this. I believe this is a vtk
bug (unless someone can tell me otherwise).

*Q1. Please help me in getting this resolved. e.g. Should I/can I submit
this to the PV mantis bug collection?
*
Typical simulation data has Image and Rectilinear structures and point and
cell data but I can reproduce these problems with just the Wavelet source:

i)"Preserve Topology=1" causes all output to disappear -

Steps to reproduce:
 Create wavelet source. Click apply.
 Select Edit Menu>find data
   Change dropdown from Cell to Point
      Enter "RTData>200" and click "Run Selection Query"
       - A set of points appears. Click Extract Selection
 In the new ExtractSelection filter select "Preserve Topology" and click
apply

And here's the problem: In the Statistics Inspector you'll now see the
output has no cells, points and uses no memory...

ii) So I thought that maybe things would be better if I started with an
unstructuredgrid as a source-
I added a default threshold filter after the wavelet source that accepted
all vaules.
Now when I repeat the above steps I can get an output of points but the
PreserveTopology does not function as specified -
"If this property is set to 1 the output preserves the topology of its
input and adds an insidedness array to mark which cells are inside or out.
If 0 then the output is an unstructured grid which contains only the subset
of cells that are inside."

((Possible cause or maybe a red-herring... but... if the output is a image
data or other grid, is this filter correctly supporting RequestInformation
requirements? ie.  outInfo->Set(... TIME_STEPS() WHOLE_EXTENT(),...)
- I did not see RequestInformation implemented in
vtkExtractSelection/vtkExtractSelectionBase; Does it need to be, or perhaps
the pipeline assumes key-value pairs from the upstream filter?
-I don't yet know enough about the pipeline architecture to fix this bug
and would appreciate some help
))

----
Some context and related thoughts-
Paraview 3.14.1 (64 bit windows 7 built with standard VS2008 SP1). Python
2.7

We'd like a way to calculate typical connected mass properties (e.g total
amount of oil that is connected (according to minimum geological and
chemical properties) to a specific well volume. This is not a 'one-time'
problem; I'm looking for a clean solution rather than a quick workaround.
Once we understand how to select a subset of voxels we'll want to connect
it to the GridConnectivity filter-
*

Mass properties of connected fragments for unstructured grids.
*
*This filter works on multiblock unstructured grid inputs and also works in
parallel. It Ignores any cells with a cell data Status value of 0. It
performs connectivity to distict fragments separately. It then integrates
attributes of the fragments.*

Too bad the ExtractSelection/GridConnectivity filters do not support a GUI
way to specify the 'insideness or 'status' array names.
Q2. Would you be interested in a patch for that?

Thanks!
Lawrence.