[Paraview] Concept: A world without the Apply button

Utkarsh Ayachit utkarsh.ayachit at kitware.com
Wed Jun 1 15:30:45 EDT 2011

Folks,

I have been investigating the ability to create pipelines in ParaView
without having to hit Apply at every single stage in the pipeline.
This would make it much easier to deal with really large data in a
usage scenario where the scientist is fairly familiar with the
visualization pipeline he's interested in setting up.

Following the recent changes to the ParaView ServerManager, the
ServerManager level requirement that filters need to be updated before
connecting has disappeared. However, we still need to "Apply" to get
updated information about arrays etc.

After a couple on discussions with Berk and Dave, I've consolidated
the thoughts on a Wiki page. If any one has any thoughts to share, it
would be great.

http://www.paraview.org/ParaView3/index.php/No-Apply_Mechanism_for_Creating_Pipelines

Note that this is merely a concept. We have no plans of implementing
it in near future (3.12/4.0).

Utkarsh