[Paraview] PYTHONPATH paraview modules WindowsXP64bit

faulkne2 at illinois.edu faulkne2 at illinois.edu
Fri Jul 29 15:13:48 EDT 2011

Paraview folks,
   I am building an application in Python and I'm hoping to use paraview's python
scripting abilities to generate plots from the data it produces automatically without
user intervention. The code must be able to just import paraview modules and use
them to produce the plots. I am currently using WindowsXP 64 bit but we have plans
to port to other OS's after this works. I have downloaded and installed the ParaView-
3.10.1-Win64-x86.exe from http://www.paraview.org/paraview/resources/software.html
. However, typing into the regular Python interpereter (or my source) :

import paraview.simple
import paraview

all produce the error
ImportError: No module named paraview

I added a windows system environment variable called PYTHONPATH with value
PYTHONPATH=C:\Program Files (x86)\ParaView 3.10.1\bin;C:\Program Files
(x86)\ParaView 3.10.1\lib\paraview-3.10

But it still does not work, still produces the same errors. All the examples I could find
online are for linux/mac so I'm stuck. I also tried adding to PATH or PYTHON_PATH
but the problem persists.
What must I change so my Python codes can import and use paraview modules?
    Brian Faulkner, University of Illinois