[Paraview] [EXTERNAL] "Select Cells On" large object?

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Wed Dec 14 10:50:23 EST 2011

Short answer, no.

If your surface is convex, you could threshold the surface elements you
need by first running the extract surface filter, then generating cell
normals, then using the calculator to extract the x component of the cell
normals, then thresholding all cells with the x component of the normal
greater than 0.  The remaining steps are the same as those you sent from
the transform filter on.

If your surfaces are not convex, perhaps you should consider an
image-based computation.  Set up the camera as in the instructions you
sent.  Then figure out the cross-sectional area of the screen and multiply
that by the ratio of pixels covered by the object to the total number of
pixels.  This ratio would probably be easiest computed if the object color
was set to black and the background to anything else.  Perhaps one of the
Python gurus could give some hints as to how to automate some of this.

-Ken