[Paraview] how does ScalarOpacityUnitDistance affect volume rendering?

Jeff Mauldin jamauld at sandia.gov
Tue Aug 2 13:21:33 EDT 2011

I am working with volume rendering on a particular data set.  I am doing
projected tetra volume mapping.  When I bring up the Color Scale Editor
dialog (which I have used extensively), there is an entry called "Scale"
that I haven't been able to find documentation to.  In playing with the
python tracing, I see that it alters a value called
ScalarOpacityUnitDistance.  The effect appears to be that setting this
parameter to zero causes the rendering to be completely invisible (alpha
zero everywhere, presumably) and setting it to 1 causes the rendering to
be completely opaque.  I'm guessing it's some kind of multiplier to the
opacity value in color transfer function, and possibly some kind of
multiplier applying to how much each volume ray segment contributes to
the overall opacity of a pixel.  What exactly is this scale value doing
(so I can understand what I'm looking at)?