[Paraview] how does ScalarOpacityUnitDistance affect volume rendering?

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Tue Aug 2 14:27:04 EDT 2011

The correct expression for radiative transform defines light attenuation
per unit length.  The Scale value allows you to set what that unit length
is.  The larger the unit length, the further light has to travel to
attenuate the same amount.

Your description of the behavior seems backward.  If you set the unit
distance to 0, you should see full opacity.  It means that when light
travels 0 distance it's attenuated a finite amount.  Thus, any finite
distance should attenuate all light.  The larger you make the unit
distance, the more transparent the rendering should become.  This is the
behavior I get with disk_out_ref.  Are you sure you didn't get it
backwards?

-Ken

   ****      Kenneth Moreland
    ***      Sandia National Laboratories