[Paraview] Development Install Tree

Utkarsh Ayachit utkarsh.ayachit at kitware.com
Fri Mar 12 09:57:38 EST 2010

I haven't really read  the full thread but I saw that everyone seems
to using "make install". A couple of comments about that.

Currently, we recommend users to use "cpack" to create the package
(tgz or what have you) instead of "make install" since currently,
"make install" doesn't support component-based install i.e. ParaView
source cannot pick which "INSTALL" command have any effect based on
their "COMPONENT". Consequently, you might end up with more stuff in
your install tree than expected.

To run cpack on ParaView application, you do something as follows:

cpack -G TGZ --config
<path-to-paraview-build-dir>/Applications/ParaView/CPackParaViewConfig.cmake

Once the tar ball is generated, you can then unpack it at whatever
location that you want.

Utkarsh