[Paraview] Development Install Tree

Mark Olesen Mark.Olesen at faurecia.com
Fri Mar 12 12:15:42 EST 2010

On Fri, 2010-03-12 at 09:57 -0500, Utkarsh Ayachit wrote:
> I haven't really read  the full thread but I saw that everyone seems
> to using "make install". A couple of comments about that.
>
> Currently, we recommend users to use "cpack" to create the package
> (tgz or what have you) instead of "make install" since currently,
> "make install" doesn't support component-based install i.e. ParaView
> source cannot pick which "INSTALL" command have any effect based on
> their "COMPONENT". Consequently, you might end up with more stuff in
> your install tree than expected.
>
> To run cpack on ParaView application, you do something as follows:
>
> cpack -G TGZ --config
> <path-to-paraview-build-dir>/Applications/ParaView/CPackParaViewConfig.cmake

Even after having previously built everything (make && make
HTMLDocumentation, as well as make preinstall for good measure) the
above mentioned cpack command still takes about 5minutes to compile
stuff and pack everything up.

The resulting tar.gz file may look fairly clean, but all of the cmake
files are missing (which means it can't be used for building plugins).
I thought that the cpack was supposed to pick up what was specified to
cmake, but it didn't seem to know that
PARAVIEW_INSTALL_DEVELOPMENT:BOOL=ON had been specified ... and it still
can't find its documentation.

Another interesting result (I really didn't expect this):
All of the VTK libraries have been eliminated and instead the bin/
directory contains monster binaries: paraview, pvdataserver,
pvrenderserver, pvserver with about 162M-177MB each.

I don't mean to be particular obtuse, but how in the world does one
manage achieve the following:
  A working paraview
  - that is fully relocatable
  - that can be used for building plugins
  - that also manages to find its own documentation.

I'm obviously doing something wrong - could someone please supply a
recipe for doing this?

/mark

DISCLAIMER:
This electronic transmission (and any attachments thereto) is intended solely for the use of the addressee(s). It may contain confidential or legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you must delete it immediately and notify the sender. Any unauthorized use or disclosure of this message is strictly prohibited. Faurecia does not guarantee the integrity of this transmission and shall therefore never be liable if the message is altered or falsified nor for any virus, interception or damage to your system.