[Paraview] VTK-Import, NaN-entries

Oliver Gloth ogloth at engits.com
Fri Mar 12 07:14:10 EST 2010

Hi,

what about -1e99, that's what I have done so far. Then you can easily
spot the regions where your simulation has fallen over ...

Regards,
Oliver

Mathias Winkel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using Paraview 3.6.2 to visualize some simulation data by
> converting my program's output to an ascii-vtk file using a self-made
> shell script. These (in fact many) vtk files are then imported to
> Paraview and used for animations etc.
>
> During testing, rewirting some code etc., my original simulation data
> contains invalid numbers (divisions by zero etc.) which are printed as
> "NaN" when output by Fortran. My data conversion to vtk works anyway,
> but Paraview cannot import these files since it obviously treats the
> "NaN" entries as text or something instead as numbers.
>
> Do you know if there is some "NaN"-analogon that can be used inside vtk
> files for Paraview importing? I already tried "nan", "Nan", "NAN", but
> no success.
>
> Attached to this eMail there is a short example file which contains an
> "NaN" in line 517. After replacing it by "0", the file can be correctly
> imported, otherwise one half of the dataset epond is missing and an
> error message is generated.
> However, I wouldn't like to replace any "NaN" by zeros, since these
> values are not zero :-)
>
> Thank you in advance for your ideas.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mathias

Dr.-Ing. Oliver Gloth
(managing partner)

enGits GmbH
Postfach 32
79670 Todtnau
Deutschland/Germany/Allemagne

phone: +49 (0)7671-992-511-0, fax: -2, mobile +49 (0)173-317-3698

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Loerrach
Registered seat of the company: Loerrach
Amtsgericht Freiburg HRB 700491
Geschaeftsfuehrer/managing partners: V.S. Gloth & Dr.-Ing. O. Gloth