[Paraview] VTK-Import, NaN-entries

Mathias Winkel win_wa at gmx.net
Fri Mar 12 05:04:19 EST 2010

Hello,

I am using Paraview 3.6.2 to visualize some simulation data by
converting my program's output to an ascii-vtk file using a self-made
shell script. These (in fact many) vtk files are then imported to
Paraview and used for animations etc.

During testing, rewirting some code etc., my original simulation data
contains invalid numbers (divisions by zero etc.) which are printed as
"NaN" when output by Fortran. My data conversion to vtk works anyway,
but Paraview cannot import these files since it obviously treats the
"NaN" entries as text or something instead as numbers.

Do you know if there is some "NaN"-analogon that can be used inside vtk
files for Paraview importing? I already tried "nan", "Nan", "NAN", but
no success.

Attached to this eMail there is a short example file which contains an
"NaN" in line 517. After replacing it by "0", the file can be correctly
imported, otherwise one half of the dataset epond is missing and an
error message is generated.
However, I wouldn't like to replace any "NaN" by zeros, since these
values are not zero :-)

Thank you in advance for your ideas.

Regards,

Mathias