[Paraview] Crash using openmpi with more than 4 processes

burlen burlen.loring at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 11:05:50 EST 2010

> Are you using the stock 7.5.1 source code of Mesa?
Yes, I was but I recently updated to Mesa 7.7.

> Could you also post the compiler flags and
> configure options you use for mesa?
There are two ways to build Mesa. The autotools way and the old way. By
autotools way I mean "./configure && make && make install", and by old
way I mean the canned configurations that come with mesa. I have always
used the old way with success. Do a fresh untar of mesa cd in and type
make. You'll see a list of available configurations. I have used both
"linux" and "linux-x86-64" with success. You can take a look at the
files with these names in the configs directory to see what flags are
being used. To install you'll have to set the INSTALL_DIR variable in
configs/default.

> Maybe if I mirror your settings, it will
> work here as well.
if this is really an interaction with OpenMPI, rebuilding osmesa may not
make a bit of difference. In that case you might want to try mpich2,
just to see what happens. And if you do I'd suggest you build it yourself.

With ParaView and all of its external dependencies, such as MPI and
OSMesa, I would recommend against system wide installs (eg /usr) . Build
them yourself and install them in a non-standard location (has to be
mounted on all nodes), either /opt/APPNAME or
/home/YOURNAME/apps/APPNAME or something like that, and prior to
building or running ParaView  explicitly prepend these locations to
LD_LIBRARY_PATH. The Modules program makes this type of thing very
convenient. This helps CMake find what you want and you're always
absolutely sure that you have the right libraries at run time, and you
can quickly swap them in and out supporting multiple configurations.

Take this last bit of advise with a grain of salt, as I don't want to
sidetrack you from the real issue. If you're not installing PV and just
running it from the build dir, by default he uses RPATH, so run time
library  issues won't come up.