[Paraview] paraview - client-server

burlen burlen.loring at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 15:05:07 EST 2010

Hi,

I have used ssh for this on such systems. As long as the batch system
gives you exclusive use of the set of compute nodes(usually the case),
you shouldn't have to worry about ports being used by others because the
tunnel is through your ssh connection. It's not automated though. Here
is how I do it:

I use two terminals on my workstation, in the following denoted by t1$
and t2$, say fe is the front end on your cluster. In the first terminal:

    t1$ ssh fe
    t1$ qsub -I -V -l select=XX -l walltime=XX:XX:XX

XX is replaced by your values. The job starts and you're automatically
ssh'd into some compute node, which we'll say has hostname NODE. In the
second terminal:

    t2$ ssh fe
    t2$ ~C<enter>
    -L ZZZZZ:NODE:YYYYY

The ~C bit is an escape sequence that sets up the port forward. ZZZZZ is
a port number on your workstation. YYYYY is a port number on the server
that is not blocked by the clusters internal firewall (see your sys
admin). Now back to terminal one, and your waiting compute node:

    t1$ module load PV3-modulefile
    t1$ mpiexec pvserver --server-port=YYYYY

The module is what sets up the ld library path and paths for your
ParaView server install (see your sys admin). now paraview is running on
the cluster. You start the ParaView client locally and connect over port
ZZZZZ on localhost.

That's what I do, if you come up with some automated script though that
would be killer.
Burlen