[Paraview] paraview - client-server

pat marion pat.marion at kitware.com
Thu Feb 4 21:58:09 EST 2010

I think the technique Burlen described takes advantages of the interactive
queues.

Here is another type of situation that uses the batch queue instead- user
opens paraview on their workstation, submits a job to the cluster, then
waits for the pvserver job to start and reverse connect to the client.

You mentioned generating MOAB job scripts on the fly through a pv xml input
dialog.  All you would need to do would be add some extra code to your job
script template.  The extra code would generate a portfwd config file with a
port chosen by the user.  The user would have to pick a port number other
than 11111, a random port that hopefully is not in use.  When the start
server button is clicked on the client it could run a custom command that
ssh's to a login node, starts portfwd with the custom config file, and
submits the MOAB script.  Now the user just waits to pvserver to connect
back to the login node which is forwarded straight to the workstation.  If
the compute node can't connect to the login node by name (`hostname`) you
can use /sbin/ifconfig to figure out the exact IP.

I can't think of an elegant way to kill portfwd when the session is over,
but you can probably come up with something.  Sorry I can't offer any
specific details.  You might want to read this wiki page too, it describes
such a system in use:

https://visualization.hpc.mil/wiki/ParaView_Client-Server_on_Crays

Goodluck!

Pat