[Paraview] Plugin Organization with Support Library + Exposed Methods in Plugin

Michael Jackson mike.jackson at bluequartz.net
Wed Dec 1 16:05:55 EST 2010

I am having a problem trying to get some of my various plugins to all
compile at the same time. The issue is that each plugin re-uses some
of the same code so I thought I would factor all that code out into
it's own support library. Let's call it "H5Vtk". Now the H5Vtk library
implements various vtkH5*Reader classes and some some HDF5 wrapper
functions in it.
   The first time I created a plugin all was fine as I had some server
manager sources and some plain server sources. All was fine. Then I
added another plugin into the mix that needs to use some of the
classes from the H5Vtk either as super classes or as support classes.
For various reasons I can NOT combine both of these projects (which
would be the really simple solution). This did not work as I got
linker errors due to the missing symbols in the second library.
   Back to the H5Vtk library. I had this all setup as a plain old
library and then tried to add a simple XML based plugin to expose the
various vtkH5*Readers that I wrote. While everything compiled OK and
ParaView ran, the new file extensions were never shown in the Open
File dialog. Which sort of makes sense to me because those source
files were never "wrapped" in Server-Manager code.

   It is almost like I need to call ADD_PARAVIEW_PLUGIN with a flag
that says "wrap these sources and ONLY compile the wrapped sources as
the originals are in a library somewhere".

   If anyone has any ideas that would be absolutely great. I think I
am just spinning my wheels at this point and not really going anywhere.

Thanks
Mike Jackson                      www.bluequartz.net
Principal Software Engineer       mike.jackson at bluequartz.net
BlueQuartz Software               Dayton, Ohio