[Paraview] pvrenderserver with MPI or without MPI?

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Tue Jan 20 08:28:57 EST 2009

> parallel. Does it still use MPI?; for example, if I had multiple
> graphics cards, say 4 cards, should I do like this?:
> % mpirun -np 8 pvdataserver
> % mpirun -np 4 pvrenderserver
> Or does it work in other way?

The render server uses mpi as well. Its main use is to support compute
server (a supercomputer for example), rendering cluster and client
scenarios. The compute server produces geometry, reduces it to N piece
(where N is the number of nodes on the render server), ships it to the
render server using N sockets and then the render server renders
geometry using distributed rendering (Ice-T over MPI).

-berk