[Paraview] Writer Plugin cannot be loaded

Burlen Loring burlen.loring at kitware.com
Thu Jan 15 10:15:44 EST 2009

Natalie Happenhofer wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have written a Writer-Plugin and after (at last) successfully
> compiling and linking it within Paraview, I tried to load it with the
> PluginManager,
> and in the Paraview/build/bin directory I found my libVdcWriter.so,
> but loading fails. I get the error message: "libVdcWriter.so: no such
> file or directory"
> But the file is in the build/bin - directory, the
> plugin-manager-browser found it!
> Does anyone know what could be the problem here? Is it possible that I
> missed to link something, any library from paraview so that this
> plugin can be loaded?

It sounds like the dynamic linker/loader , ld, isn't finding your
libVdcWriter.so library. first you can verify by running ldd on your
plugin and searching for "not found". like this:

ldd /path/to/libMyPlugin.so | grep "not found"

This will list the libraries that are not found. There are a number of
ways to remedy such an issue. The easiest (especially for debugging
purposes) is to use LD_LIBRARY_PATH on the command line to add locations
to ld's search path. You know where the missing library is located then
you can run paraview like this:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/path/to/missing/lib/folder /path/to/paraview

or you can export this variable in your shell.