[Paraview] ClientDeliveryRepresentation

jonathan grimm flymolo at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 16:52:18 EST 2009

On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 12:18 PM, Michael Jackson <
mike.jackson at bluequartz.net> wrote:

> You can run a 64 bit pvserver and connect to it with a 32bit ParaView
> Client. Does that satisfy your needs?

No, but that's the reason I pursued this path.

> Also, the GUI presented by ParaView is programmed in Qt 4. When Qt 4.5
> comes out then the journey to 64 bit on the client side should be straight
> forward although I am sure there will be "bumps" along the way. What
> specific "Paraview GUI Components" are you trying to avoid by writing your
> own client? (which is based on vtk/Qt itself as you state, which will have
> the _exact_ same problems that ParaView has with 32/b4 bit.)

I assumed there were more Carbon dependencies in paraview, it looks like it
may be just the progress bar, but I'm familiar with vtk/Qt, and I have a
working client for smaller datasets, so I'd rather not learn Views and
representations more than I have to.

Can I use vtkClientServerMoveData? Can I use
SelectionDeliveryRepresentationProxy? It looks like qt 4.5 will solve this
for my mac clients, but I need to figure this out eventually, because we
aren't going to Vista so the poor 32 bit windows machines will need the help
of the linux box in the basement.