[Paraview] Static Compile of ParaView

Randall Hand randall.hand at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 12:42:28 EST 2008

Thanks for the heads up.. Using the information there I did get alot further
along, but i'm still running into brick walls.

Currently, the compile works all the way to the final link step, and then I
get this:

Linking CXX executable ../../bin/pvdataserver
cd /home/rhand/PV-build/Servers/Executables &&
/viz/home/rhand/local/bin/cmake -P
CMakeFiles/pvdataserver.dir/cmake_clean_target.cmake
cd /home/rhand/PV-build/Servers/Executables && /usr/bin/c++   -O
-Wno-deprecated -O3 -DNDEBUG  -fPIC -O
"CMakeFiles/pvdataserver.dir/pvdataserver.o"   -o ../../bin/pvdataserver
-rdynamic -L/home/rhand/PV-build/bin -L/home/rhand/static-install/lib
-L/usr/X11R6/lib64 -Wl,-Bstatic -lvtkPVServerCommon -lvtkPVFilters
-lvtkPVServerManager -lvtkPVFiltersCS -lvtkPVFilters -lvtkPVServerCommonCS
-lvtkPVServerCommon -lvtkInfovisCS -lvtkInfovis -lvtkPVCommandOptions
-lvtkParallelCS -lvtkHybridCS -lvtkVolumeRenderingCS -lvtkVolumeRendering
-lvtkWidgetsCS -lvtkWidgets -lvtkHybrid -lKWCommon -lvtkXdmfCS
-lvtkRenderingCS -lvtkGenericFilteringCS -lvtkGenericFiltering
-lvtkGraphicsCS -lvtkImagingCS -lvtkIOCS -lvtkFilteringCS -lvtkCommonCS
-lvtkClientServer -lvtkXdmf -lXdmf -lvtkhdf5 -lvtklibxml2 -Wl,-Bdynamic
-lhistory -lm -Wl,-Bstatic -lvtkParallel -lvtkRendering -lvtkGraphics
-lverdict -lvtkImaging -lvtkftgl -lvtkfreetype -lOSMesa16 -lOSMesa16
-Wl,-Bdynamic -lXt -lSM -lICE -lX11 -lXext -Wl,-Bstatic -lvtkIO
-lvtkFiltering -lvtkCommon -Wl,-Bdynamic -lpthread -lm -Wl,-Bstatic
-lvtkDICOMParser -lvtksqlite -lvtkpng -lvtktiff -lvtkzlib -lvtkjpeg
-lvtkexpat -lvtksys -Wl,-Bdynamic -ldl -Wl,-Bstatic -lvtkexoIIc -lvtkNetCDF
-Wl,-Bdynamic
/home/rhand/PV-build/bin/libvtkRendering.a(vtkXRenderWindowInteractor.o)(.text+0x28a):
In function `vtkXRenderWindowInteractor::Initialize()':
: undefined reference to `vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow::GetDisplayId()'
/home/rhand/PV-build/bin/libvtkRendering.a(vtkXRenderWindowInteractor.o)(.text+0x2b3):
In function `vtkXRenderWindowInteractor::Initialize()':
: undefined reference to `vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow::SetDisplayId(_XDisplay*)'
/home/rhand/PV-build/bin/libvtkRendering.a(vtkXRenderWindowInteractor.o)(.text+0x439):
In function `vtkXRenderWindowInteractor::Initialize()':
: undefined reference to `vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow::SetWindowId(unsigned
long)'
/home/rhand/PV-build/bin/libvtkRendering.a(vtkXRenderWindowInteractor.o)(.text+0x5fb):
In function `vtkXRenderWindowInteractor::Initialize()':
: undefined reference to `vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow::GetDisplayId()'
/home/rhand/PV-build/bin/libvtkRendering.a(vtkXRenderWindowInteractor.o)(.text+0x796):
In function `vtkXRenderWindowInteractor::Initialize()':
: undefined reference to `vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow::SetWindowId(unsigned
long)'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
gmake[2]: *** [bin/pvdataserver] Error 1
gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/home/rhand/PV-build'
gmake[1]: *** [Servers/Executables/CMakeFiles/pvdataserver.dir/all] Error 2
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/home/rhand/PV-build'
gmake: *** [all] Error 2
[rhand at amethyst2 PV-build]$

(showing a gmake VERBOSE=1).  Any clue what's going on? This was done with
the 3.2 Branch Head, and CVS head as of this morning.

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 9:40 AM, Kent Eschenberg <eschenbe at psc.edu> wrote:

> Randall Hand wrote:
> > Is it even possible?
>
> Yes. It was done by Kitware on our XT3 which doesn't support shared
> libraries.
> They are still working on it and plan to put all they've learned into
> cmake and
> the paraview cmake rule files though the changes might only be used if it
> sees
> that the OS is Catamount. Their interns have put a lot of information,
> which
> might be useful to you, here:
>
> http://www.paraview.org/Wiki/Compiling_ParaView3_for_Cray_supercomputers
>
> Kent