[Paraview] xdmf data order?

John R. Cary cary at txcorp.com
Sat Jul 26 15:39:27 EDT 2008

I have spent the day playing with the xdmf data
reader in both VisIT and ParaView.  I asked this
question of the visit list, but seeing more xdmf answers on
the paraview list, I thought I would look here.
My apologies to those on both lists who get this
question twice.

I have been looking at the xdmf reader as another way
of getting at our data.  For the life of me, I cannot
figure out how to get our 2D data read in so that ParaView
knows that the first dimension should be x and the second
y.  I attach both the xmf and h5 files.

When this is opened, the contour plot looks right
(with the blue square visible),
except that x and y are interchanged.  The format
appears a bit strange, as the order in Topology->Dimensions

  <Topology TopologyType="3DCoRectMesh" Dimensions="1 25 20"/>

has to be different from that in the Origin and DxDyDz data
items.  It is not in KJI ordering, but rather in KIJ ordering.
If I swap the last two items, the strides are wrong and I get
garbage.  I can also get a correct picture (up to axis labeling)
by using

  <Topology TopologyType="3DCoRectMesh" Dimensions="25 20 1"/>

but now x is plotted as z (and I have to reorder Origin and
DxDyDz).

(The order of the DataItem->Dimensions variable seems to have no effect.)

ParaView and VisIt show the same behavior.  I see similar
behavior in 3D.  I can have either the data strides correct
or the axis labeling correct, but not both.

It seems that the plugin was written for Fortran ordered
data, as if the data is written not using the _f methods
of HDF5, yet in fortran?  In any case,
I need to tell the plugin that my data is in C order, not
Fortran order.  Is there a way to do this?

John Cary