No subject

Sat Jul 26 20:13:30 EDT 2008

of simplifying the construction of a multi-scalar netCDF volume=2C but clea=
rly involves a lot of extra manipulation.
=20
The thing to really ask is if you have a file giving a position in the data=
 volume (XYZ) and one or more scalar values at the given position=2C in an =
ascii file (e.g. CSV) is there a simple way of getting the data into Paravi=
ew as a true volume dataset?
=20
Thanks
=20
Lester> Date: Sat=2C 2 Aug 2008 14:57:20 +0200> From: dominik at itis.ethz.ch>=
 To: lester_anderson1963 at hotmail.com> CC: paraview at paraview.org> Subject: R=
e: [Paraview] Getting data into Paraview to build 3D volume> > How about wr=
iting an netCDF importer? I am not even sure if I haven't > seen one report=
ed on the list.> -- Dominik> > Lester Anderson wrote:> > Hello> > > > I kno=
w this is a very broad-based query but would like to get some > > pointers.=
 I normally work with GMT (netCDF) files but these at present > > (at least=
 in GMT) can only store one variable=2C e.g. lat=2C long=2C elevation > > o=
r x=2Cy=2Cgravity etc. The latest netCDF convention does support > > multi-=
scalar properties=2C and mult-levels via the COARDS convention=2C this > > =
however is not an export option in the latest GMT (4.3.1).> > > > My questi=
on is really one of how can I import data into Paraview to > > generate a v=
olume of data=2C as opposed to just a series of layers? As I > > see it=2C =
I need to get the data into a format like XYZ (for position in > > the volu=
me) and then one or more variables to describe the scalar > > function at t=
he given position.> > > > Presently=2C I could export ascii XYZ data from G=
MT to generate say > > x=2Cy=2Cgravity at level 0=2C and then x=2Cy=2Cgravi=
ty at level 1 etc...but it > > does seem that Paraview expects the data in =
a more structured and > > defined format=2C with which to generate a volume=
.> > > > There is a "roundabout" way to get netCDF files into Paraview via =
VisIt > > 1.9.0=2C and export as VTK=2C but this will only export things as=
 simple > > layers (XYZ)=2C and not build a volume from a series of layers.=
de > > explaining how to get tabulated ascii data into Paraview and the > >=
 construction of data volumes from 2D information.> > > > If there are alte=
rnative methods of getting data into Paraview then I'd > > be interested to=
 know.> > > > Thanks> > > > Lester> > > > Get fish-slapping on Messenger! P=
lay Now > > <http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/101719805/direct/01/>> > > > > > -=
view> > -- > Dominik Szczerba=2C Ph.D.> Foundation for Research> on Informa=
tion Technologies in Society> http://www.itis.ethz.ch
Win a voice over part with Kung Fu Panda & Live Search=A0=A0 and=A0=A0 100=
=92s of Kung Fu Panda prizes to win with Live Search
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/107571439/direct/01/=

--_a6c271e3-e27a-4681-966e-a6a392c3698a_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
FONT-SIZE: 10pt=3B
FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma
}
</head>
Hello Dominik<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Thanks for the suggestion. I have seen various variants on the netCDF impor=
ter but all require the paraview source code to be compiled=2C not somethin=
g I do personally. The problem with netCDF is that you end up dealing with =
two variants=2C one which only accepts a single variable like XYZ where z w=
ould be say elevation=2C and in effect you have a 2D layer. The other varia=
nt is based on the COARDS convention and allows multiple layers and variabl=
es to be built in to netCDF - this is not so easy to construct.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
It does seem that Paraview is great if you can get your data into a suitabl=
e format=2C otherwise it seems to be a lot of effort. In that respect=2C I =
do feel that having more generic import options=2C and a built in netCDF op=
tion=2C would be a big benefit to users=2C particularly working in geophysi=
cs.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>