[Paraview] NULL qApp in Paraview Plugin

Thomas D. Uram turam at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jan 17 13:04:14 EST 2008

I've written a plugin for Paraview, following the directions at

    http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/Plugin_HowTo

and it works fine with the Paraview executable I've built.  I'd like for
it to also work with the official Paraview releases, but in that case
Paraview crashes trying to load the plugin.

That's because the plugin code makes a call against qApp (as does the
Paraview plugin example), but qApp is NULL.  So my questions are:

- Is there a related build dependency that I need to consider?  (I've
already ensured that my plugin uses CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=='release')

- Should I be able to successfully build plugins for loading by the
release code?  (I expect that's the long term plan, but wonder if it is
not yet possible.)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom