[Paraview] New user: Please help!

Scott, W Alan wascott at sandia.gov
Wed Feb 13 12:40:20 EST 2008

Patty,
I am sure that some folks read data like you mention, but another option is to write in a "paraview smart" file format.  One of the oldies, but goodies, is a vtk file format.  (ParaView stands on top of the VTK toolkit).  One way to see a vtk file is to open ParaView, Sources menu, Sphere, Apply.  Then, File menu, Save Data, change "Files of type" to vtk, name the file, OK, then write it as ASCII.

Pretty good write-ups are available here: http://www.geophysik.uni-muenchen.de/intranet/it-service/applications/paraview/vtk-file-formats/

The VTK file formats are defined here: http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/images/5/51/VTK-File-Formats.pdf

Alan