[Paraview] Qt 4.2.3 Required for PV 3.1.0 Head

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Thu Sep 6 15:11:31 EDT 2007

Mike,

As you guessed, that check was put in to discourage use of any but the
officially supported version of Qt.  In the early days of ParaView, back
when Tcl/Tk was used for the GUI (and more), there were a lot of
problems with users building with different versions of Tcl.  Eventually
the problem was solved with embedding a version of Tcl/Tk with the
source of ParaView.  Now that we have moved to Qt, licensing and build
issues prevent us from doing that.  Instead we need to make it very
clear to builders which version of Qt ParaView currently supports.

The problem is not so much reporting bugs that are tied to a different
version of Qt.  The problem is not knowing the bug is tied to a
different version of Qt.  If you build with a different version of Qt
and run into a problem there is no practical way to determine that
changes in the Qt library caused problems or not.

So changing the CMake files to allow you to build with Qt 4.3 is easy
enough.  You just need to delete a few lines.  We expect users who are
savvy enough to do that.  But at the same time, the process should come
as a warning that you have a "hacked" version of ParaView that may
experience unforeseen problems.

-Ken