[Paraview] Parallel Help

James Galbraith james.galbraith at inl.gov
Fri Nov 30 10:20:15 EST 2007

Hi Everyone,

I'm pretty new to ParaView, with a little experience with Pre-3.0
versions.  I'm trying to get some parallel configurations up and running
under LInux but am having some problems - some probably pretty basic,
some maybe not.

My environment is a small cluster, 3 dual-dual-core nodes for a total of
12 available cores, all running Suse 10.2.  I've got ParaView 3.2.1
built and installed on all three nodes with parallel capabilities enabled.

My first attempt is to get a single client with four servers running on
a single node.  Rather than describe all the gyrations I have gone
through, suffice it to say I have been unsuccessful in getting any more
than one server to run.  It runs OK, but I need to get multiple servers
running, connecting to the same client.  I've gone through the wiki
pages and used my pre-3.0 experiences (where I also had some problems),
but continue to be unsuccessful.

I've tried using mpirun manually to start the server and used the
--reverse-connection option, but only a single connection is ever
established.  I've tried using the connect dialog but again can only get
a single instance of the server running and connected.  Is there
something I need to do to the client to get multiple connections?

Can someone show me how to get this thing configured to run multiple
servers on a single node as well as multiple servers on multiple nodes?
Maybe an example of a configuration file?  In the end, I'll be running
some of this in situations where a firewall may well be involved so will
probably require the use of the --reverse-connection capabilities.  I'd
greatly appreciate any and all assistance.

Thanks in advance

Jim

--
"To Do Is To Be" - Socrates.