[Paraview] Problem with updating color map values

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Mon Nov 19 11:03:26 EST 2007

Nagaiah,

There are no plans to change the behavior.  This issue has been the
source of many disagreements amongst the ParaView developers.  However,
as convenient as it is to have the color map rescale when the time
changes (as well as easy to implement), ultimately it creates animations
that misrepresent how the data changes over time.

Could you describe your use case in more detail?  What exactly do you
mean by "looks better"?  Does the scalar range shift or grow over time?
Both cases will make all the colors map to near the same color for some
or all time steps.  However, when you run the animation in a sequence,
you will see the overall color shift in a way that is highly indicative
of how the scalar changes over time.  If you resize the scale at every
time step, you will surely get more detail per time step, but you will
totally lose the sense of how the variable changes over time (which is
the point of playing over time).  Furthermore, the result could be
highly misleading.  The constantly rescaled colors would show shifts of
the scalar over time that simply do not exist.  They are an artifact of
the rescaling.  Do you have some use case in which these concerns do not
apply?

-Ken