[Paraview] Problem with updating color map values

Chamakuri Nagaiah cham_nag at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 19 12:04:51 EST 2007

Dear Kenneth,

Yes, I agree with your comments. In my simulation results, I need to check the
validation of my numerical results. In this case, we (I am a mathematician and
my colleagues from Engineering dept) keen on to see the data range for each
time step.  They (engineers) want to see a movie with updating
the scalar bar values according to the each file. That is the main reason I
am very interested to see this option in PARAVIEW. The word
"looks better" mentioned in my previous mail regarding checking my
numerical results using the other visualization package(their internal package). That means, in my numerical simulations the acting source
term has on and off behavior. When source activate, the data range
in the numerical results is very large and when it is off the data range is small. In
this particular period we are particularly interested  to see the behavior
of solution as well as the data range during the animation.

Nagaiah

"Moreland, Kenneth" <kmorel at sandia.gov> wrote:        v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}                     Nagaiah,

  There are no plans to change the behavior.  This issue has been the source of many disagreements amongst the ParaView developers.  However, as convenient as it is to have the color map rescale when the time changes (as well as easy to implement), ultimately it creates animations that misrepresent how the data changes over time.

  Could you describe your use case in more detail?  What exactly do you mean by “looks better”?  Does the scalar range shift or grow over time?  Both cases will make all the colors map to near the same color for some or all time steps.  However, when you run the animation in a sequence, you will see the overall color shift in a way that is highly indicative of how the scalar changes over time.  If you resize the scale at every time step, you will surely get more detail per time step, but you will totally lose the sense of how the variable changes over time (which is the point of playing over time).  Furthermore, the result could be highly misleading.  The constantly rescaled colors would show shifts of the scalar over time that simply do not exist.  They are an artifact of the rescaling.  Do you have some use case in which these concerns do not apply?

  -Ken