[Paraview] Building 3.2.0 with FFMPEG

Sean Ziegeler seanzig at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Nov 5 09:32:22 EST 2007

I've been playing with 3.2.0, and I must say it's looking good!

There's a small build problem with using FFMPEG shared libraries.  I get
the following error:
[ 81%] Built target vtkSMExtractDocumentation
[ 81%] Creating Documentation for ParaViewSources
/home/ziegeler/paraview/build/3.2.0-nrl1-x86_64/bin/vtkSMExtractDocumentation-real:
error while loading shared libraries: libavcodec.so.51: cannot open
make[2]: *** [Documentation/ParaViewSources.html] Error 127
make[1]: ***
[Servers/ServerManager/CMakeFiles/HTMLDocumentation.dir/all] Error 2

I worked around it by symlinking the 3 appropriate libav*.so.* files
into the build tree's bin directory.

In the Makefiles, I think symlinking (or copying) for the build process,
or temporarily setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH, might be appropriate.  Although,
I don't remember this being a problem for 3.1, but I may have not been
using FFMPEG.  I had intended to at the time, but now I don't recall if
I actually did.

-Sean