[Paraview] OpenFOAM and ParaView

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Wed May 23 14:33:54 EDT 2007

Hi Greg,

There seems to be some remnants of the other OpenFOAM reader
somewhere. I tested to make sure and I can open the only .foam file I
have without problem (I would be happy to try yours). At first glance,
I can see that the .pvs script you are using has a problem. The reader
module in paraview is called OpenFOAMReader and the one in the script
is FoamReader. Replacing that should fix the script. I cannot tell why
you are getting this error when you do File->Open. Maybe the ParaView
you are using was modified? I would recommend downloading it from
paraview.org and trying it out.

-berk

On 5/23/07, Gregory D Abram <gabra at us.ibm.com> wrote:

> OK, I'm stuck.  I unset my PV_INTERFACE_FILE environment variable so that
> (as I understand things) it'd use the built-in OpenFoam reader, rather than
> the one I built from source in the OpenFOAM release.   Then I ran
>
> paraFoam {root} {case}
>
> and got:
>
> ErrorMessage
> # Error or warning: There was a VTK Error in file:
> /dcv/gabra/local/src/ParaView-2.6.1/GUI/Client/vtkPVWindow.cxx (2572)
>  vtkPVWindow (0x4b96b00): Cannot read file information when no reader is
> specified. This probably means that the reader for the file with name:
> ./hotRoom.foam cannot be found
> ErrorMessage end
> ErrorMessage
> # Error or warning: There was a VTK Error in file:
> /dcv/gabra/local/src/ParaView-2.6.1/GUI/Widgets/vtkKWApplication.cxx
> (1701)
>  vtkPVApplication (0x47f9960):
>     Script:
> paraFoam.pvs
>     Returned Error on line 11:
>       invalid command name ""
> ErrorMessage end
>
> So I look at the paraFoam script.  It creates a paraFoam.pvs file and
> touches {case}.foam, then runs
>
> paraview paraFoam.pvs
>
> So I touch {case}.foam and then just run PV.   I do File->Open Data, and
> sure enough, there in the Files of type: list is OpenFoam Files (*.foam).
> so it knows *something* about OpenFOAM files.  So I try to load the
> {case}.foam file, and get:
>
> ErrorMessage
> # Error or warning: There was a VTK Error in file:
> /dcv/gabra/local/src/ParaView-2.6.1/GUI/Client/vtkPVWindow.cxx (2572)
>  vtkPVWindow (0x4b96b00): Cannot read file information when no reader is
> specified. This probably means that the reader for the file with name:
> ./hotRoom.foam cannot be found
> ErrorMessage end
> ErrorMessage
> # Error or warning: There was a VTK Error in file:
> /dcv/gabra/local/src/ParaView-2.6.1/GUI/Widgets/vtkKWApplication.cxx
> (1701)
>  vtkPVApplication (0x47f9960):
>     Script:
> paraFoam.pvs
>     Returned Error on line 11:
>       invalid command name ""
> ErrorMessage end
>
> So, mimicking the paraFoam.pvs file, I open the tcl window and:
>
> set a [$Application GetMainWindow]
> set b [$a InitializeCustomReader "FoamReader" "hotFoam.foam"]
> $a ReadFileInformation $b "hotRoom.foam"
>
> and get the first part of that last error:
>
> ErrorMessage
> # Error or warning: There was a VTK Error in file:
> /dcv/gabra/local/src/ParaView-2.6.1/GUI/Client/vtkPVWindow.cxx (2572)
>  vtkPVWindow (0x4b96b00): Cannot read file information when no reader is
> specified. This probably means that the reader for the file with name:
> ./hotRoom.foam cannot be found
> ErrorMessage end
>
> What am I doing wrong?

> [...]

 Berk Geveci