[Paraview] OpenFOAM and ParaView

Gregory D Abram gabra at us.ibm.com
Wed May 23 14:08:26 EDT 2007

OK, I'm stuck.  I unset my PV_INTERFACE_FILE environment variable so that
(as I understand things) it'd use the built-in OpenFoam reader, rather
than the one I built from source in the OpenFOAM release.   Then I ran

paraFoam {root} {case}

and got:

ErrorMessage
# Error or warning: There was a VTK Error in file:
/dcv/gabra/local/src/ParaView-2.6.1/GUI/Client/vtkPVWindow.cxx (2572)
 vtkPVWindow (0x4b96b00): Cannot read file information when no reader is
specified. This probably means that the reader for the file with name:
./hotRoom.foam cannot be found
ErrorMessage end
ErrorMessage
# Error or warning: There was a VTK Error in file:
/dcv/gabra/local/src/ParaView-2.6.1/GUI/Widgets/vtkKWApplication.cxx
(1701)
 vtkPVApplication (0x47f9960):
    Script:
paraFoam.pvs
    Returned Error on line 11:
      invalid command name ""
ErrorMessage end

So I look at the paraFoam script.  It creates a paraFoam.pvs file and
touches {case}.foam, then runs

paraview paraFoam.pvs

So I touch {case}.foam and then just run PV.   I do File->Open Data, and
sure enough, there in the Files of type: list is OpenFoam Files (*.foam).
so it knows *something* about OpenFOAM files.  So I try to load the
{case}.foam file, and get:

ErrorMessage
# Error or warning: There was a VTK Error in file:
/dcv/gabra/local/src/ParaView-2.6.1/GUI/Client/vtkPVWindow.cxx (2572)
 vtkPVWindow (0x4b96b00): Cannot read file information when no reader is
specified. This probably means that the reader for the file with name:
./hotRoom.foam cannot be found
ErrorMessage end
ErrorMessage
# Error or warning: There was a VTK Error in file:
/dcv/gabra/local/src/ParaView-2.6.1/GUI/Widgets/vtkKWApplication.cxx
(1701)
 vtkPVApplication (0x47f9960):
    Script:
paraFoam.pvs
    Returned Error on line 11:
      invalid command name ""
ErrorMessage end

So, mimicking the paraFoam.pvs file, I open the tcl window and:

set a [$Application GetMainWindow]
set b [$a InitializeCustomReader "FoamReader" "hotFoam.foam"]
$a ReadFileInformation $b "hotRoom.foam"

and get the first part of that last error:

ErrorMessage
# Error or warning: There was a VTK Error in file:
/dcv/gabra/local/src/ParaView-2.6.1/GUI/Client/vtkPVWindow.cxx (2572)
 vtkPVWindow (0x4b96b00): Cannot read file information when no reader is
specified. This probably means that the reader for the file with name:
./hotRoom.foam cannot be found
ErrorMessage end

What am I doing wrong?

Greg