[Paraview] Undefined variables in Ensight Gold Format

Olesen, Mark Mark.Olesen at emcontechnologies.com
Fri Jun 29 12:43:08 EDT 2007

Hi Martin,

Sorry to start a new thread, but I was deregistered when you posted.

> Can Paraview handle the 'undef' keyword in Ensight Gold variable
> files?

I too looked at this and found that 'undef' is handled in the ASCII format,
but not in the binary format. This could the source of your problem.
Fortunately, a small hack to the binary reader should not be too difficult
to add.

Another problem might arise if you have polyhedral cells (Ensight: nfaced
elements). In this case, you can reckon with receiving a segfault. The only
quick hack here would be to have the readers silently jump over these data
and leave holes instead.

There have been sporadic discussions in the past about supporting a new cell
type - the last posting was last year
http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/vtk-developers/2006-April/004157.html ,
but I haven't seen anything more recent.

I started toying with the idea of targeting the vtk formats directly
(instead of worrying about any weaknesses in the Ensight reader), but
without polyhedral support there really is no point bothering.

It would be interesting to hear opinions about how much work would be
involved with adding a new polyhedral cell type to VTK.
If nothing else, it would have the advantage of being the last new element
type for a while.

Cheers,
/mark
This e-mail message and any attachments may contain legally privileged, confidential or proprietary Information, or information otherwise protected by law of EMCON Technologies, its affiliates, or third parties. This notice serves as marking of its “Confidential” status as defined in any confidentiality agreements concerning the sender and recipient. If you are not the intended recipient(s), or the employee or agent responsible for delivery of this message to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this e-mail message from your computer.