[Paraview] paraview 3.0.1 build on MacOS X is brittle

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Tue Jun 19 10:52:44 EDT 2007

>    The changes made between the 2.6.2 and 3.0.1 releases of paraview
> have broken the ability to build paraview as a simple x11 program.
> While I understand the desire to change the build to allow the
> creation of a paraview that behaves as a stand-alone application,
> this prevents the fink (http://fink.sourceforge.net) developers
> from packaging it as a x11 program that is executed from the
> command line.
>     It would be very helpful if the next 3.0.2 release were
> modified to allow a simple non-application build of paraview
> to be done on MacOS X if desired. That is a build that mimics
> the build process for MacOS X from 2.6.2 and doesn't attempt
> to create an application. Thanks in advance.

It is actually possible to only build the servers and the python
client. However, these components also use Carbon instead of X11 to do
their rendering. There is actually no X11 dependency left in paraview
whatsoever. Although, it is possible to configure the server build to
use X11 instead of Carbon, I don't see any practical reason of doing
it. Am I missing something?

-berk