[Paraview] Getting started with paraview

dpollack at beckman.com dpollack at beckman.com
Mon Jun 11 14:27:42 EDT 2007

Hi -

I recently obtained a 42 cpu (850 mhz each) cluster on which I'm trying to
get paraview running.
I've tried both 2.4 and 3.0.1 binaries (from www.paraview.org) with
limited success. With 3.0.1, I've gotten the servers running with the help
of MPI on each child node and paraview running on the head node, but have
not been able to load any models across the cluster. With 2.4, I was able
to get pvdataserver and pvrenderserver running on the child nodes, but I
was unsure what they were doing or how to connect the head node with
pvclient. When I tried to run pvclient, I got numerous errors with unknown
causes and no available results on google. I have some questions to help
me get started:

1. Which version of paraview should I be running? The screenshots on the
website appear to be an older version than 3.0.1.

2. What distribution of clients, render servers and data servers should I
have? Is there a sequence of commands or order of execution required to
get all of the clients and servers connected to one another? Is it the
same for both versions?

3. Is there any online documentation available for either version of
paraview? I have the paraview 2.4 guide on order, but how helpful will
that be for 3.0.1?

4. Are there any online repositories of datasets for paraview? I am mostly
interested in learning how to load and manipulate the visible man data,
which I already have access to. Computational fluid dynamics examples
would also be helpful.

Daniel Pollack
The server made the following annotations
This message contains information that may be privileged or confidential and is the property of Beckman Coulter, Inc. It is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy, disseminate, distribute or use this message or any part thereof. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this message.