[Paraview] Question about custom interfaces within Paraview

Nikil Kapur n.kapur at leeds.ac.uk
Wed Feb 28 17:15:15 EST 2007

Hi,
I'm writing for some general advice about Paraview for a particular
application I have in mind. I wish to write a simplified interface that
early stage university students can use to bring in CFD datasets and
explore these using paraview. The idea is that instead of giving
students free reign over the tools within paraview to explore the
datasets, they will be lead through a number of exercises to help them
understand the physics of the flow simulations. Since this is targeted
at 1st year students I don't want them to get caught up in intricacies
of CFD (that comes later) - rather focus on the physics of the flow. I
believe there's a real educational driver for this.  I'm looking at a
variety of options but my questions are these:
1. Is it possible to build simplified interfaces within Paraview ?
2. Is it possible to script in basic functions so that students can dial
in (say) Reynolds number using a slider bar and get Paraview  to load in
the right datasets ?
3. How hard is something like this to a mathematically competent
engineer with experience of programming in a variety of languages / cfd
codes etc. etc. (OK and how long is string).

I realise this is mighty vague but from the enthusiasm from a whole
range of colleagues and the offers of people to provide all sorts of
exciting data sets its something I'd really like to have a shot at!.

Many thanks, Nik

--
Dr Nikil Kapur
School of Mechanical Engineering, University of Leeds, Leeds LS2 9JT
T 0113 3432152   F 0113 2349679   E n.kapur at leeds.ac.uk