[Paraview] client/server display problem

Kevin H. Hobbs kevin.hobbs.1 at ohiou.edu
Tue May 16 15:12:31 EDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-05-16 at 11:32 -0400, Jack Gundrum wrote:
> Hi Christoph,
>
> So when paraview running in parallel tries to open a process on other
> nodes it uses X forwarding? The X forwarding from my
> cluster server to laptop client works fine if I dont run in parallel
> (i.e. mpirun) so X forwarding is working untill I use mpirun.

What is the value of DISPLAY on the cluster frontend? If it's
localhost:whatever, set by ssh, this isn't likely to make sense on the
clients. If the display variable is set by ssh to the real hostname
(internal network is fine) of the cluster front end then the compute
nodes should be able to open windows. This is an sshd option. Can you
run glxgears ( or xclock or whatever ) on the compute nodes?

> Should I be compiling paraview with offscreen rendering to avoid X
> forwarding among cluster nodes?

This made my life MUCH easier.

I think it's even worse if you don't use offscreen rendering on the
cluster or provide each node with a display ( X virtual frame buffer
works. ). I think the compute nodes are trying to use the graphics
hardware on your laptop... Not sure about that though.