[Paraview] Probe point clouds / Point to sphere generation

Randy Hudson hudson at mcs.anl.gov
Thu May 11 13:15:06 EDT 2006

I've added vtkGaussianSplatter to the filter menu.  Passing your point
cloud through that will spread the points' influence into the
neighboring space, which will then be sampled by a regular grid of a
resolution of your choosing.  You can also adjust the size of the
Gaussian kernel.

I haven't tried probing the grid, though.

Here are the XML files I wrote to implement this (point to their
directory with PV_INTERFACE_PATH):

GaussSplatFilter.xml
--------------------
<ModuleInterfaces>
  <ServerManagerFile name="GaussSplatFilter.pvsm"/>
  <Module name="GaussSplatter"
                         root_name="Splat"
          replace_input="0"
          menu_name="Gaussian Splatter"
                         module_type="Filter"
          long_help="Splatting"
          short_help="Splatting">
    <Filter class="vtkGaussianSplatter">
      <Input name="Input"
             class="vtkDataObject">
      </Input>
    </Filter>
    <InputMenu trace_name="Input" property="Input"
               id="im"
               label="Input"
               help="Set the input to this filter."
               input_name="Input"/>
    <Scale label="Kernel Radius"
           trace_name="KernelRadius"
           property="KernelRadius"
           help="Insert help here, later"
           resolution="0.01"
           display_entry="1"
           entry_and_label_on_top="0"
           display_value="0"/>
    <VectorEntry label="Sampling Grid Resolution"
                 trace_name="SamplingGridResolution"
                 property="SamplingGridResolution"
                 type="int"
                 length="3"
                 help="Set the number of bins in each dimension.  Make
them at least twice the inverse of the kernel radius value (see Nyquist
frequency."/>
         <Documentation>
                Splats
    </Documentation>
  </Module>
</ModuleInterfaces>

GaussSplatFilter.pvsm
---------------------
<ServerManagerConfiguration>
        <ProxyGroup name="filters">
                <SourceProxy name="GaussSplatter"
class="vtkGaussianSplatter">
                        <InputProperty name="Input" command="SetInput">
                                <ProxyGroupDomain name="groups">
                                        <Group name="sources"/>
                                        <Group name="filters"/>
                                </ProxyGroupDomain>