[Paraview] How to get a vtkClientServerID of a already created vtkobject in dataserver

Utkarsh Ayachit utkarsh.ayachit at kitware.com
Thu Aug 17 12:02:37 EDT 2006

Typically, all proxies that represent VTK filters have an "Input"
property. Look any proxy definition in
Server/ServerManager/Resources/filters.xml. You will have to add an
"Input" property to your cutter proxy as well (If you are using the
Cutter provided by paraview, it already has an input property). Now on
the client side, I am assuming you have access to the reader proxy as
well as the cutter proxy. To set the reader as the input to the cutter
one simply does:

vtkSMInputProperty::SafeDownCast(
   cutterProxy->GetProperty("Input"))->AddProxy(readerProxy);

This will setup the pipeline on the data server (or where were the vtk
objects might actually be).

Generally speaking, one does not have access to the vtkClientServerID in
the VTK filters created on the servers. vtkSMProxy provides API to
access the IDs for the VTK objects it stands for:
vtkSMProxy::GetNumberOfIDs() and vtkSMProxy::GetID(unsigned int). Thus,
the ServerManager and ParaView client are aware of and can access the IDs.

Utkarsh.