[Paraview] ParaView 1.4.3 in render-server mode

Berk Geveci berklist at nycap.rr.com
Thu Sep 2 13:40:05 EDT 2004

Hi Joe,

> Without more detailed documentation I don't fully understand what is
> happening, but it looks to me that the data server is trying to connect to
> the localhost, rather than myRenderNode.  Do I need to give the data
> server this information, or should it be getting it from the client?  I
> tried playing around with using the --machines option, but didn't
> see any difference, then again I wasn't sure of what the syntax of the
> file should be.

You are on the right track. You have to use the --machines=filename
option. However, you should put this option on the render server command
line not the client or data server. The file should contain the
hostnames of all render server nodes (newline separated).

> Also, when I tried running with multiple nodes for both servers, the first
> render node listens on the port I specified in the --render-node-port
> option, but the rest use ports presumedly generated by the render server.
> When I tried passing the --render-node-port a comma separated list of
> ports, only the first one was used.

As far as I know, there is no way of specifying which ports to use on
the render server nodes. ParaView will ask libc to come up with
available ports and use them. As long as you set the machines file
properly, this shouldn't be a problem (unless you have a firewall that
blocks those ports)

-Berk