[Paraview] Running Paraview in Parallel

Charles Law charles.law at kitware.com
Thu, 11 Mar 2004 11:45:31 -0500

Steve,

First, the conversion of the streamline filter from serial to parallel is
not yet complete.  The current distributed implementation of streamlines
does not speed up the processing over serial execution.

The reader is responsible for assigning files to processes.  You would have
to look into the different parallel file formats like VTK's XML based readers.

In Paraview's standard mode of execution, The output will be displayed on
the processes with the user interface.  This will be process 0 if you are
running straight MPI.  If running ParaView as a client and server, the
client has the UI and the rendering display.  There is also a tiled display
mode which I will not discuss more.

Unfortunately, the feature you probably need does not work yet.  You will
most likely start the server using your batch interface, and then start the
ParaView client from an interactive session.  The problem is that the
server nodes still try to connect (unnecessarily) to an X server.  We are
in the process of fixing this.

ParaView also allows you to export a script that can be run in batch.  The
output images/geometry are saved in files.  If you compile with Mesa the
images can be rendered off screen so ParaView can work without an X server
in this batch mode.   I do not know the status of this feature in version 1.2

Charles.