[Paraview-developers] Conversion of data from dbl to vtk

Utkarsh Ayachit utkarsh.ayachit at kitware.com
Mon Jun 5 10:52:56 EDT 2017

James,

I am not familiar with DBL, but going a quick search, it seems like PLUTO
code should be generating a xml file too  (*.xmf) that you should be able
to open in ParaView.
Here's the relevant extract from the docs (
http://plutocode.ph.unito.it/files/userguide.pdf)

*11.1.2 HDF5 Output: dbl.h5 or flt.h5 data formats*
HDF5 output format can be used in the static grid version if PLUTO has been
succesfully compiled with the serial or parallel version of the HDF5
library, see §3.2. The file extension is .h5 (and not .hdf5 as used by
PLUTO-Chombo data files, §12.4) and output files are written in Pixie
format, a single-block, rectilinear mesh file using HDF5, may be related to
the Polar Ionospheric X-Ray Imaging Experiment. The conventions used in
writing .dbl.h5 or .flt.h5 files are the same ones adopted for the .dbl and
.flt data formats. However, with HDF5, all variables are written to a
single file. Pixie files can be opened and visualized directly by different
softwares, like VisIt and Paraview. *Since we have found compatibility
issues with some versions of these visualization softwares, each file comes
along with a supplementary .xmf text file in XDMF format that describes the
content of the corresponding HDF5 file and can be opened correctly by VisIt
and Paraview, see §11.3.5*. Restart can be performed from double precision
HDF5 data files by invoking PLUTO with the -h5restart n command line option
(§1.4.1), where n is the output file number from which to restart. In this
case an additional file (restart.out) will be dumped to disk. Default: The
default is to write ALL fields in .dbl.h5 format, whereas to exclude
staggered magnetic field components (if any) from the .flt.h5 format.

Hope that helps.

Utkarsh