[Paraview-developers] [Paraviewweb] Setting number of bins in InfoViz Diagrams

An, Michael K. MKAn at securemissionsolutions.com
Fri Jun 2 14:15:39 EDT 2017

Hi Sebastien, and others,

I have a couple questions regarding the customization of the number of histogram bins for InfoViz Diagrams.

1) How do you set the number of bins dynamically, after you have instantiated a diagram, e.g., HistogramSelector? The following doesn't work for me:

const histSelectorObj = HistogramSelector.newInstance({provider});
histSelectorObj.setNumberOfBins(newValue);

While this sets numberOfBins correctly for histSelectorObj, the diagram rendering seems to fail. Upon closer inspection, it looks like a call to subscribeToHistogram1D is made when first instantiating the histogram selector histSelectorObj.
Because you must pass in metadata here, which includes numberOfBins, I would think that the data subscription always expects any incoming data updates to be consistent with this original metadata, and that the data subscription doesn't "know" that this value changed.
Setting the value when calling newInstance seems to work fine:

const histSelectorObj = HistogramSelector.newInstance({provider, numberOfBins: newValue});?

Is there a way to change the metadata in the data subscription later on (or am I not understanding something)?

2) Following up on the first question, is there a way to have different histograms have different number of bins within one InfoViz diagram?

Thanks a lot for your help.

-Mike

?