[Paraview-developers] [EXTERNAL] Re: Using "fusion" style on OsX by default

Cory Quammen cory.quammen at kitware.com
Thu Jul 27 14:39:48 EDT 2017

With regards to layout and spacing, that could be tightened up in the
current style with Mac-specific margins in the proxy property widget,
no?

With regards to the overall aesthetic, it looks like I am in the
minority, but I don't like the Fusion style on Mac. I love it on
Linux, but not on a Mac.

There was a time in the past when Apple strived to have a uniform look
and feel across applications, and while that hasn't been the case even
for Apple applications for quite a few years, I still like the idea.
The Mac style in Qt has never been a perfect match for native macOS
applications, but it is a reasonable facsimile in a lot of ways.
Switching to Fusion completely abandons attempts to fit in with other
macOS applications. So partly for nostalgia reasons, partly for a bias
for consistency in the (Mac) universe, and partly for wanting to avoid
startling new users a bit less with a different style, I prefer the
current style.

I think we should consult with the ParaView users mailing list to get
more user feedback, not just developer feedback.

Thanks,
Cory

Cory Quammen
Staff R&D Engineer