[Paraview-developers] ROS experience ?

Bastien Jacquet bastien.jacquet at kitware.com
Thu Jan 5 08:14:54 EST 2017

Hello Folks,

TL;DR: Have you ever used ROS [1] within a Kitware project ?

Kitware has been contacted recently by companies looking for joint Computer
Vision + Robotic applications. Topics like SLAM, or object detection and
grabbing have showed up, and ROS could be a good starting point.
I hear about ROS for many years, and former academic colleagues at ETH
Zurich were using it and contributing to it, but I never did.
ROS is similar to OpenCv, but much more oriented towards realtime robotics.
ROS (Robot Operating System) [1] is pretty popular in the robotics
community. It's basically a middle ware to transfer all kinds of data (such
as point clouds, image-flow, depthmaps, odometry, ...). ROS repository then
provides lots of other algorithms, named "packages".
The core is BSD-licensed, and many packages also are.

I guess it should not be too difficult to write IO wrapper to/from VTK/PV
to enable further visualization (e.g., the bounding boxes or the resulting
cloud). Maybe providing a live VTK source that gets ROS-based point-cloud.
Has anyone played around in this direction ? Is that the right way to go?

Bastien

[1] http://www.ros.org