[Paraview-developers] BUILD_SHARED_LIBS=OFF and plugins in 4.2.0 rc1

Utkarsh Ayachit utkarsh.ayachit at kitware.com
Fri Sep 26 10:11:53 EDT 2014

1. You cannot dynamically load static plugins. Static plugins need to
be compiled into the ParaView executable. When building ParaView you
can set the PARAVIEW_EXTERNAL_PLUGIN_DIRS cmake variable to point to
external plugin source directories Note, each plugins must include a
plugin.cmake, similar to the Plugins under ParaView source.

2. To load a "compiled in" plugin, use LoadDistributedPlugin() [1]. It
also works with shared builds.

Utkarsh

[1] http://www.paraview.org/ParaView3/Doc/Nightly/www/py-doc/paraview.simple.html#paraview.simple.LoadDistributedPlugin