[Opengeoscience-developers] Picking

Aashish Chaudhary aashish.chaudhary at kitware.com
Thu Apr 18 21:13:10 EDT 2013

Hi Wendel,

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 4:19 PM, Wendel Silva <wendelbsilva at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello there,
>
> The picking is working.

This is great! Looking forward to it.

> The method returns the number of objects intersected and store link to the
> actors intersected.
> Although, currently the boundingbox tested is fixed because I didnt find
> any method on actors to get its bounding box.
>
> Is there currently anyone working on Actors to compute the bounding box?

I am and I can push and merge my branch to next. I need to test few things
but in my basic testing it seems to be working. Actually it would be nice
if you can review my branch since you will be using it for your picking.

> Is there any need to make a picking more precise than its bounding box?
> For that, after checking the boundingbox I would have to check the ray with
> every polygon in the

mesh, and if the object is big it will take some time.

We would need to the point we picked under the mouse so that we can:

1. Bring in infovis for that point
2. Use picking to draw rectangles / quads / etc on the map

If you think you can do this without ray-polygon intersection, then I would
say skip it.

Thanks for the update. This is very helpful.

- Aashish