[Openchemistry-developers] MolView for GSoC 2017

Geoffrey Hutchison geoff.hutchison at gmail.com
Sat Apr 1 11:08:03 EDT 2017

Dear Herman,

We certainly understand your interest in using GSoC to re-start MolView - that's one of the goals of Google in running GSoC is to foster open source development. And we have an interest in the broader scope of open source chemistry. (A good browser-based editor would be a very nice tool.)

The problem is that GSoC is a very specific program from Google. To be honest, we do not set up the rules or even pick student projects. We *recommend* student proposals to Google, who ultimately makes the final decision. Beyond questions on the license, there *must* be a specific mentor for a project. While we encourage students to propose new projects, we still have to find a good fit with a mentor.

We have no mentors familiar with your code, nor with Dart.

If you wanted to propose a project for browser-based 3D editing using 3Dmol.js or Avogadro, that's a completely different thing - we have mentors that can serve.

But even a truly outstanding proposal without a mentor will not be selected by Google. And it's not just one mentor - Google wants to see an organization like OpenChemistry have a pool of ~2x mentors as students (e.g., mentors travel and take vacations too).

I haven't looked - does Dart have a summer program? I think you can propose "unattached" projects through a catch-all Google organization too.

Best regards,
-Geoff