[Openchemistry-developers] MolView for GSoC 2017

Herman Bergwerf hermanbergwerf at gmail.com
Sat Apr 1 11:47:31 EDT 2017

Dear Geoff,

Dart is a language developed by Google and mainly used within Google (the
outside community is fairly small despite some efforts to make it more
popular). I couldn't find any Dart related stuff on GSoC. I know 3Dmol.js
and related projects (and have worked with WebGL and GLSL extensively in
the past), I have been wanting to integrate it into MolView as it is more
active (currently relies on a modified version of GLmol, 3Dmol was forked
from GLmol). There is actually one project in there I have been wanting to
do for years (fragment based compound resolving), in fact I communicated
about this with David Koes last year, but at least then my 'advanced
mathematics' skills were not sufficient to get started. The reason I was
(and still am) interested in this is because it would allow client-side
computing of 3D structures (thus MolView can be used offline, and resolving
is probably quicker).

Anyway, I understand your position. I'll see what I can do (I'm very late
with this, but I didn't think of it earlier, I know some people at Google
because of working with Dart).

Regards,
Herman