[Insight-users] itk::GDCMImageIO

Todd Jensen todd.jensen at ieee.org
Tue Nov 20 09:16:40 EST 2007

I am using ITK 3.2.0 and writing out RGB images. If I used a JPEG image IO class, all is well.  But if I used the GDCMImageIO class to generate a DICOM secondary capture image, I was getting invalid DICOM objects that could not be read by applications such as OsiriX.

A little investigation showed the transfer syntax was little endian implicit, but something was not correct in the encoding.  So, I added the following to itkGDCMImageIO::Write() to force an explicit syntax and valid images are now generated:

   :
  else if( m_NumberOfComponents == 3 )
    {
    // Write the image as RGB DICOM
    gfile->SetWriteModeToRGB();
+    gfile->SetWriteTypeToDcmExplVR();
    switch (this->GetComponentType())

    :

Is this also an issue in ITK 3.4.0 or current?

Todd Jensen
Jensen Informatics LLC
New Berlin, WI, USA
todd.jensen at ieee.org