[Insight-users] Bug in DICOM reader for 4D data?

Matthias Schabel mschabel at ucair.med.utah.edu
Tue Feb 6 02:18:27 EST 2007

As per Luis' suggestion in a previous (fairly old) post (here :
http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/insight-users/2004-May/008568.html),
I am attempting to get ITK to correctly read a 4D (time+volumetric)
dynamic MRI data set. With filenames ordered following the suggested
grouping (chunked first by acquisition time, then by slice), when I
attempt to read, I end up with a 1 x 1620 x 192 x 176 volume. While
the total number of voxels is correct, this should in fact be a 90 x
18 x 192 x 176 volume. I have already verified independently that
the time stamps are identical for all slices for each acquisition, so
this seems to me to be a bug in the DICOM reader. I really would prefer
to have the data in the form of a single 4D volume rather than a
vector of 3D slices - any suggestions/workarounds?

Thanks,

Matthias

Matthias Schabel, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Department of Radiology
Utah Center for Advanced Imaging Research
729 Arapeen Drive
Salt Lake City, UT  84108
801-587-9413 (work)
801-585-3592 (fax)
801-706-5760 (cell)
801-484-0811 (home)
mschabel at ucair dot med dot utah dot edu