[Insight-users] Re: long time delay during implementation of MathematicalMorphologyBinaryFilters

Gaëtan Lehmann gaetan.lehmann at jouy.inra.fr
Sun Apr 22 08:17:38 EDT 2007

Hi,

Just some comments and corrections:

  - you must build your project in release mode to get all the
efficiency of ITK. According to your logs, your project is built in
debug mode.

  - 15 is not really huge. I was frequently running some binary
closing/opening with structuring element of radius 30x30x15 some
months ago

  - the binary filters are not using the brute force algorithm.
However, the algorithm used in very sensible to the content of the
image, especially the number of pixels on the border of the object,
so depending of the contente of the image, the filter of the
consolidatedMorphology contribution may give better results. If a box
structuring element is used the consolidatedMorphology will most of
the time give better results.

  - most of the time we are doing a opening with such a big
structuring element to remove the objects in the image to small to be
an object of interest. This method is really inefficient when the
objects are big, and a opening by size should be prefered. A (not
officialy published yet) contribution would let you do that
efficiently: http://voxel.jouy.inra.fr/darcsweb/darcsweb.cgi?
r=binaryAttributeMorphology;a=summary . To give an example, an image
of 512x512x70 is filtered in less than 2 second on a recent computer,
without dependency on the size of the object to remove.

Gaëtan